18/06/2014

The Liebster Award



LBAsmallheart

The Beautiful World of Books has been nominated to take part in the Liebster Blog Award!

What is this award? You may ask.

What is the purpose of this award? You're surely thinking.

First of all, if someone nominates you for an award, do not question it. It's a good thing... or so I'm told.

Inge, over at Bookshelf Reflections, nominated me to take part. From my understanding, it's a way for not so well known blogs to talk about themselves and forward it to other blogs. A bit like those chain-mail things we used to get when we were kids and had all our school friends on MSN. (Don't lie, you know exactly what I'm talking about!)

The Rules

1. List 11 facts about yourself.
2. Answer the 11 questions asked by whoever nominated you.
3. Nominate 9 bloggers with less than 300 followers and leave them a comment saying they’ve been nominated.
4. Ask 11 new questions for your chosen nominees.
5. You cannot re-nominate the blog that nominated you.

11 Facts About Me:
1. I was born and raised in Rome, Italy by my chef father and housewife mother. I have two sisters, a brother, a half brother and a half sister and we're those big, loud families people tend to try and avoid. I'm the oldest (not counting my half siblings) and I pretty much raised my brother and sisters because of the nature of my dad's job. Being a chef meant we travelled a lot and he opened restaurants all over the country. We used to spend our three-month long summers all over the country, which was incredibly fun. 
2. I love to travel. Up until a year ago, I used to go away every month or so to different parts of Britain for a weekend. Ideally, I travel alone, with nothing but my phone, a notebook and a change of clothes. When I travel, I never know where I'm going to end up until I get there. It's expensive, but rewarding. In a year, I managed to travel from one end of Britain to the other, starting off in Bournemouth and ending up in Sterling, Scotland. It can get lonesome, but there's nothing like hopping onto a train and living an adventure all on your own.
3. I live and breathe books. I began reading in English at the age of eight years old and taught myself the language, quickly passing it on to my siblings. As we travelled a lot, it was much easier for them to pick it up when we finally made the big move to England. I'm a writer and over the years I've built up a collection of short stories and incomplete novels which, I hope, one day I can finish and publish.
4. My hair is six different shades of brown. It's never been dyed, which is something my friends ask a lot. It changes with the weather, as corny as that may sound: if it's hot and sunny, it will go blond at the tips and ginger up top and during the winter, it darkens to an almost black. 
5. I'm a job-hopper. No matter how hard I try, I can't stay in the same line of work for too long; I get bored easily and restlessness ensues soon after. I've worked many jobs: waitressing, aquarist, Court Supervisor, administrator, barman (or lady) and now I currently work/train as an assistant accountant. I don't know how long this job will last, but I hope that whatever happens, I can use the knowledge and experience in future jobs.
6. I'm an idiot. 100% stupid. I say and do the most ridiculous of things which people, thankfully, don't take to heart and laugh about. I can brighten any situation mostly because I am able to trip over my own two feet and make a fool out of myself in front of a huge group of people.
7. Up until a year ago, I was a hardcore party girl. Although I didn't party every weekend, I was close and, although I don't regret it, I'm thankful I stopped. Alcohol may make some nights fun but it's not worth the horribleness of the next morning. It fuelled a lot of arguments, fights and last minute decisions I wish I'd never taken part in. I now refuse to drink alcohol unless I'm at some sort of event, and I'm much happier and feel healthier.
(I've just managed to make myself sound like an alcoholic, but I promise that was not the case).
8. I'm a hugely opinionated person and I don't always think before I speak. When I read a book, I rip it apart to get to the very core of the story. If I didn't like it, I will say so. If I did like it, I will praise it until the stars themselves fall from the sky. My opinions cause a lot of clashes in life, but I don't back down unless I know I'm wrong. Chances are though, if I'm arguing so aggressively about something, it's because I 100% believe in it and/or I know I'm right.
9. I love my family, some say unhealthily. We've been through a lot, more than the average family should ever put up with/go through and it's made us stronger. It's difficult for me to make decisions without consulting them first. If they think it's a bad idea and I shouldn't do something, then I probably won't. When it comes to stuff like that, my family looks at the big picture whilst I concentrate too much on the here and now.
10. Chocolate and cats are my more favourite things in the world. If I'm sad, I will cuddle my cat until she starts growling, and then I'll eat an abundance of chocolate, which I will regret after. Because pimples, ew. Many friends (online and in real life) know that to make me feel better or make me smile or laugh, all they need to do is show me a video of a cat doing something awesome and I will love them forever.
11. I love meeting people. Online and in real life. I'm pretty shy at first, but once we strike up a conversation I probably won't shut up. I don't have many close friends, but those I do have I know I can trust with my life. People who betray me or bitch about me are quickly cancelled from my life without a second thought. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Questions asked by Inge
If you had all the money in the world, where would you go?
Everywhere. My first stop would be Alaska, quickly followed by Canada. They're the two places in the world I am just dying to see.
If you could read only one book for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
Alice in Wonderland, without a doubt. It's the book my mother read to me every night until I was 6 and a story I love so much, no matter how screwed up it is now that I think about it.
 We all suffer from the-book-is-better-than-the-movie syndrome, but are there any film adaptations that were better than the book? If so, which?
Definitely! The Devil Wears Prada is one. The book is blech whilst the film is just amazing. Another one is the LOTR trilogy. I know, I know. However the books dragged and even though Tolkien wooed me with a beautiful world, setting and characters, it was much easier to see it all come to life when watching the movie.
 Name five characters of any book, dead or alive, with whom you’d like to hang out with for a day.
Damn. Ron Weasley, Alice (from Alice in Wonderland), Bilbo Baggins, Meda (Cracked) and possibly Katniss Everdeen.
 Who is your ultimate literary crush?
This is an impossible question to answer. I'm a book slut. I may have a crush on Clay from Bitten one day and the next, I'm drooling over Levi from Fangirl quickly followed by Akiva from Daughter of Smoke and Bone.
 Do you prefer hardcovers or paperbacks, and why?
I always buy paperbacks when I'm reading something for the first time. Paperbacks are cheaper and easier to carry around. However I tend to buy hardbacks of books I love, mostly because they're much prettier (I know) and look so much better on my Ultimate Collection shelf :D Yes, I have one. Don't judge me.
 Do you let yourself be influenced by the cover of a book when you decide to read something? In other words, do you judge a book by its cover?
Absolutely. If I'm book shopping, it's the cover that catches my attention first and foremost. The book might be a total gem, but if the cover is bland or not eye catching at all, chance are I won't look at it twice. I might regret it later, because covers can trick you. A lot of books I've read this year have had beautiful covers but the stories were bland. But yes, I do sometimes (a lot) judge a book by its cover.
 When and where do you prefer to read?
I don't have a designated reading place. I read whenever and wherever I can. It's why I'm so attached to my Kindle -- it means I can read even when I'm walking without causing me to trip over something unseen. I read on the bus, at work, whilst walk to and from work, on the beach, at home on the sofa, in bed, in the bath. Everywhere. Very rarely you'll see me without my book or Kindle.
 What are your favourite themes when reading fiction? What about non-fiction?
I'll give anything a shot. However, the recurring theme I sort of always look for in a book is romance. If it's written well, then I will quickly fall in love alongside the characters. With the whole instalove thing happening at the moment, it's making me rethink it though. 
Ugh, non-fiction. I've tried and tried again to read non-fiction and it just doesn't grab me, so I tend to avoid it. If someone were to give me a non-fiction book and tell me that I absolutely must read it, then I will give it a go.
 Have you learned any valuable lessons when reading certain books? If so, tell me one.
A lot. I've learned many lessons from books. From the blandest 'do not give up ever' to the 'fight for what you believe in', I always try and find the 'lesson' or 'moral' in a story, even if there isn't one.
A couple of years ago, I lived next door to a published author called Mal Peet, and he gifted me an autographed copy of his best-selling novel Tamar. Based in two different times, Tamar follows the story of WWII in England and how it's affected the past and present; the story of Tamar's grandfather and of Tamar herself, following clues her grandfather left her all over the country. It taught me to never take anything for granted and to never give up on what you want to achieve.
Recently, I finished reading We Were Liars by E Lockhart and Cadence, the MC, has a great motto: "Do the things you're afraid to do." Although the book wasn't all to my taste, it had a few lessons in there I will treasure for a long time.
 How do you decide which book to read next?
I leave it to chance. It all depends in what mood I'm in; if I've finished reading a really sad book, then I'll read the first happy, fluffy chick lit book I can find. If I want something deep and thought provoking, I scour my TBR list on GR for a long time, comparing reviews and ratings, until I can settle on something. Other times, I pick something up without reading the blurb and leave it to chance.
Questions for my nominees!
1. Why do you read? What started you off and why?
2. If you had the chance to meet whoever you wanted (celebrity, author, musician etc) who would it be and why?
3. What's the best thing you've done in your life so far?
4. Do you believe in love at first sight?
5. What's your best childhood memory?
6. What's your favourite book? Why?
7. How big of an influence does an author have on the books you want to read?
8. What's a pet peeve of yours when reading a book? Does it influence your enjoyment of the book?
9. List five books you love and five books you don't.
10. What would you do if you won the lottery?
11. Are you a blogger? If so, what started you off? If not, would you ever have a blog?

I Nominate:

I'm going to contact my nominees privately during this week, then post those who have agreed to it on here. Have a great day!